Dawid Konotey-Ahulu mailed me yesterday to tell me we’d been named Engaged Investor’s most innovative pension consultancy. It’s a mark of Dawid’s genorosity that he thought to contact me, even though the firm he started Redington had (along with Aon) been the other firms shortlisted.
It’s quite something for Pension PlayPen Ltd to win a national award only 12 months after incorporation and says much for the judges (the great and on this occasion the good!). It also says good things about digital journalism which is putting innovation at the top of the agenda.
That’s enough sucking up, what is innovative about Pension PlayPen.
- That we thought to enter this award is innovative. Historically start-ups wait their turn, given a ten year track record- you might just be considered worthy of inclusion in a long-list but it’s presumptious to consider yourself in the same league as an Aon or Redington.
- What we do is innovative. No other consultancy has tried to help the smaller employers in Britain by bringing big-firm analytics within the grasp of the SME. We hope we have done our bit to keep choice alive in a world that could so easily become the domain of NEST.
- How we do it is innovative. We realised from day one that what was needed was a business to business portal that allows smaller firms to go about finding a workplace pension and using it for auto-enrolment without having to spend a fortune. DIY was and is the only way to bridge the advisory gap.
- How we get to our customers is innovative. We’ve forsaken the tried and tested routes to market, you can find us on twitter and google but you’re as likely to hear about us through Payroll World, or NACUE or AccountingWeb. We’re as interested in Buzz and Vice as the FT and the BBC!
- What we charge is innovative. Of the 350 companies who have used our service, only a handful have paid for the due diligence that we charge for. The majority have used us for free and we are happy with that. As our service progresses , we will ask more to pay, but for now we are busy restoring confidence in pensions and that takes an investment.
If you haven’t come accross us yet and are interested in the quality of pension on offer to your organisation, then register at http://www.pensionplaypen.com/register, bang in your company details, assess your workforce, tell the machine what the company will contribute and find out who will provide a pension for you.
The key Intellectual Property is in the ratings of the providers and the scorecard that allows you to weight each rating by what’s important to you. Thanks go to First Actuarial for their due diligence, integrity and imagination in providing us with this reseach.
Whether you are doing this as an employer or on behalf of a client, the system is designed to be as user-friendly as can be. We try , as our name suggests, to make the business of choosing a pension, a pleasurable experience.
We are so so proud to have won this award and very much hope it will encourage a few more employers and/or their advisers to choose a pension our way!