He said I ate the last mango in Paris
Took the last plane out of Saigon
Took the first fast boat to China
And Jimmy there’s still so much to be done …
The greatest of all the great things about Jimmy Buffet, is his music takes you out of the fast lane and parks you firmly on the beach with a Marguerita and a couple of pretty girls and nothing to do.
I’ve taken to singing these lines to myself to de-stress myself – I suppose writing these little articles is another way of getting that stress out of my system.
But when there’s a crowd of folk that get together – whether at a lunch, or a conference, or an online forum and agree some stuff about what needs to be done, and then organise themselves then- no matter how much there is to be done- it gets done.
Take my friend Tom McPhail who has got a bunch of people together to lobby for better annuity making decisions (or at least a regulatory climate where good annuity decisions are the norm rather than the exception.
Tak Dawid at Redington who has organised a proper lobbying group down to the DWP to explain the impact of the RPI/CPI change and get Government thinking about both the decisions they are taking and how to consult on future decisions.
Then I think of my bunch of guys at First Actuarial – who I am so proud of! We’ve just had our best month ever – not just out biggest turnover month but a month where we did so much good work and got our heads round so many big problems we’d been wrestling with.
Jimmy Buffet isn’t a loner and he’s not a loser. His group , his shops, his life is an inspiration!
harnessing the power of fun to get things done.
Maybe that’s going to be the strapline for the Pension Play Pen!
- Got Margaritas? Jimmy Buffet in Concert (lasvegaslogue.com)
- #Budget11; a budget about #pensions (henrytapper.com)
- General Debate 05/04/11 (truebluenz.wordpress.com)
- Jimmy Buffett Raises a Glass to the Gulf (jetblogged.com)
- Keep down the cost of your premiums when sexes are equal (independent.co.uk)
- Charlie Sheen Calls Dibs on (Duh!) “Adonis DNA,” “Tiger Blood” and Other Winning Catchphrases (eonline.com)
- Jimmy Buffet Is In The Hospital After Falling Hard (dlisted.com)
- Jimmy Buffett Take A Spill (wdok.radio.com)
- Jimmy Buffett on Gurney – The Fall Was Serious (gossiplinedaily.wordpress.com)
- I admire Nick Clegg more than David Cameron, says Norman Tebbit (guardian.co.uk)
- Jimmy Buffett Hospitalized After Fall in Australia (sugarslam.com)