He said I ate the last mango in Paris
Took the last plane out of Saigon
Took the first fast boat to China
And Jimmy there’s still so much to be done …
The greatest of all the great things about Jimmy Buffet, is his music takes you out of the fast lane and parks you firmly on the beach with a Marguerita and a couple of pretty girls and nothing to do.
I’ve taken to singing these lines to myself to de-stress myself – I suppose writing these little articles is another way of getting that stress out of my system.
Truth is that none of us is going to change the things that we see around us much – not on our own – even a David Cameron or a Nick Clegg can’t do much on their own.
But when there’s a crowd of folk that get together – whether at a lunch, or a conference, or an online forum and agree some stuff about what needs to be done, and then organise themselves then- no matter how much there is to be done- it gets done.
Take my friend Tom McPhail who has got a bunch of people together to lobby for better annuity making decisions (or at least a regulatory climate where good annuity decisions are the norm rather than the exception.
Tak Dawid at Redington who has organised a proper lobbying group down to the DWP to explain the impact of the RPI/CPI change and get Government thinking about both the decisions they are taking and how to consult on future decisions.
Then I think of my bunch of guys at First Actuarial – who I am so proud of! We’ve just had our best month ever – not just out biggest turnover month but a month where we did so much good work and got our heads round so many big problems we’d been wrestling with.
Jimmy Buffet isn’t a loner and he’s not a loser. His group , his shops, his life is an inspiration!
harnessing the power of fun to get things done.
Maybe that’s going to be the strapline for the Pension Play Pen!
- Got Margaritas? Jimmy Buffet in Concert (lasvegaslogue.com)
- #Budget11; a budget about #pensions (henrytapper.com)
- General Debate 05/04/11 (truebluenz.wordpress.com)
- Jimmy Buffett Raises a Glass to the Gulf (jetblogged.com)
- Keep down the cost of your premiums when sexes are equal (independent.co.uk)
- Charlie Sheen Calls Dibs on (Duh!) “Adonis DNA,” “Tiger Blood” and Other Winning Catchphrases (eonline.com)
- Jimmy Buffet Is In The Hospital After Falling Hard (dlisted.com)
- Jimmy Buffett Take A Spill (wdok.radio.com)
- Jimmy Buffett on Gurney – The Fall Was Serious (gossiplinedaily.wordpress.com)
- I admire Nick Clegg more than David Cameron, says Norman Tebbit (guardian.co.uk)
- Jimmy Buffett Hospitalized After Fall in Australia (sugarslam.com)
Pingback: Social entrepreneurs and pension leaders ; Robert and Dawid « Henrytapper's Blog