Apparently it’s worth £4m to us in TV rights, it will take us to grounds we have never played at and we’ll be rated one of the top 50 clubs in the strongest leagues in the world.
Quite an achievement for a club with an average home gate of barely 4000, a wage bill that wouldn’t pay a premiership star and only ten years in the football league.
Here’s Paddy Madden‘s amazing first goal
What it means to the town is none of my business, I don’t live there and don’t do business there. But what it means to the town’s citizens is quite something. Yeovil is not a rich town and youth unemployment is very high.
This video shows what happens to some skaters in Yeovil who get set upon by kids barely at primary school.
That’s the “sleepy town in Somerset” they talk about on SkySports
The atmosphere at the Yeovil (away) end was remarkable. The bond with manager Gary Johnson – aruldite. This is the only game when the only invasion was from pitch to crowd when Luke Ayling (who can do as he pleases with our wives) bounded over the security fence to hug the crowd.
Check this great video from Ryan Triang http://www.youtube.com/embed/9s0paCj4mmc” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>
I’ve not gone home to Brentford tonight, gone to stay with the missus after dropping the kids off round South London.
Others are in deep water
Many good things are happening at the moment but none has given me so much pleasure as our winning this afternoon. Of course it meant that Brentford must wait another year (how they will rue that missed penalty), but Brentford are going places with a great manager, a new ground on the way and a fan base which is loyal and certainly not trophy!
So here we go – one more time
Ee Aye Ee Aye Ee Aye oh!
Up the football leagues we go
Now we are promoted
This is what we sing
We are Yeovil
We are Yeovil
Gary is our king!
Match stats (thanks to www.ciderspace.com)
Yeovil Town secured their route into the Championship division this afternoon,
thanks to a 2-1 win over Brentford at Wembley Stadium in the League One
Top scorer Paddy Madden did the business with a superb
sixth minute strike into the top left hand corner, and that was added to by
Fulham loanee Daniel Burn‘s header just before the break that the Bees
failed to clear off their own goalline.
The West Londoners hit back after the break with a Harlee Dean header, and as they put pressure on for an equaliser, Glovers keeper Marek Stech put in a Man of the Match performance to keep the single goal advantage. That allowed the Glovers to steer their way into the second tier for the first time in the club’s history, and set up an
eye-watering set of opponents for the 2013-14 season.
Yeovil Town 2 Brentford 1.
Scorers: Paddy Madden (1-0, 6
mins), Daniel Burn (2-0, 42 mins), Harlee Dean (2-1, 51 mins).
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster 18. Dan
Burn 3. Jamie McAllister (Capt)
22. Kevin Dawson 20. Joe Edwards 8. Ed Upson
14. Sam Foley
9. James Hayter 17. Paddy Madden
12. Gareth Stewart 4. Richard Hinds 10. Gavin Williams 13. Vitalijs
Maksimenko (77 mins for Jamie McAllister) 15. Lewis Young 26. Matthew Dolan (88
mins for James Hayter) 29. Angelo Balanta
21. Simon Moore
14. Shaleum Logan 5. Tony Craig 6. Harlee Dean 24. Jake Bidwell
4. Adam Forshaw 12. Tom Adeyemi 20. Toumani Diagouraga
9. Clayton Donaldson 19. Harry Forrester 11. Marcello Trotta
16. Antoine Gounet 2. Kevin O’Connor 7. Sam Saunders (67 mins for Harry
Forrester) 17. Bradley Wright-Phillips (62 mins for Marcello Trotta) 18. Lee
Hodson 8. Jonathan Douglas 23. Paul Hayes (82 mins for Toumani Diagouraga)
Yeovil Bookings: Edward Upson (70 mins, foul), Kevin Dawson (75
mins, dissent), Gavin Williams (90 mins, kicking ball away)
Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession:
52%; Shots: 4; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 3;
Brentford Match Statistics: Possession:
48%; Shots: 13; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 6;
Referee: Andy D’Urso (Essex).
Assistants: Derek Eaton (Gloucestershire) and Alan Young
(Cambridgeshire). Fourth Official: Graham Scott (Oxfordshire). Reserve
Assistant Referee: John Hopkins (Essex).
(including over 17,000 Yeovil Town supporters).
- Come on Yeovil! (henrytapper.com)
- We are the Yeovil! (henrytapper.com)
- We are Yeovil! (henrytapper.com)
- Johnson hails Yeovil promotion (skysports.com)
- Brentford 1-2 Yeovil Town | League One play-final match report (guardian.co.uk)
- Up the football leagues we go! Come on #ytfc! (henrytapper.com)
- We are top of the league , we are top of the league! (henrytapper.com)
- Brentford 1 Yeovil Town 2: match report (telegraph.co.uk)
- Yeovil victorious at Wembley (skysports.com)
- Brentford 1 Yeovil 2 – League One play-off final match report: Paddy Madden and Dan Burn score (dailymail.co.uk)