Whilst education is needed and nudging can be effective, if we’re talking about educating and nudging via the same old broadcast ‘collateral’ we still won’t get people thinking and talking about pensions.
The industry has been banging on in the same way for years. A plethora of choices, described in terms that most people don’t understand, pushed out in brochures, adverts, websites and leaflets. All one-way communication.
What we should be driving towards is dialogue. We need to produce material that is relevant, stimulating and fun and get it out there on social platforms, encouraging people to share it, comment on it and respond to it with their own content. (I’m pretty sure that I’m speaking to the converted.)
Auto enrolment is going to produce a sudden interest in pensions, hopefully kick starting the conversation.
There’s a fear about commenting, at conferences, on blogs , even in meetings. I guess in the back of my head, when I put my hand up to speak, is the echo of Lou Reed‘s put down which forms the title of this blog!
Mark is right – there’s no use in me or any other pensions/expert/guru/bore banging on whether in magazines or on blogs or conferences if nobody’s reading/listening!
So I’ve set myself a big personal challenge for the rest of the year. That’s to turn my attention to what Mark is banging on about
We need to produce material that is relevant, stimulating and fun and get it out there on social platforms, encouraging people to share it, comment on it and respond to it with their own content
So if you are reading this and you fancy blogging a bit, get in touch! Either you can have a go on this site (I’ll promote you) or you can set up your own account on word press or one of the other excellent blog sites (they’re all free).
And if you are already pumping out stuff and you want it bigged up- give me a call by mail or twitter or on the phone 07785 377768. I’m talking to the Marain Elliot’s , the Jenny Kressers and the Brian Spence’s! I’d love to host your stuff on here and hope that I can spend some time on your blogs!
I had a great call the other day from my old friend Jeremy Dell who gave me some feedback on my General Melchett blog. Good points Jeremy got me to reword what I was saying. Also taught me a lesson on how I comment on other people’s stuff.
None of us currently have the answers and if we don’t have these conversations I suspect we never will.
- General Melchett’s fancy DC defaults (henrytapper.com)
- Couldn’t have put it better myself (henrytapper.com)
- Interesting Bloggers and Blogs (vixstories.wordpress.com)
- Social entrepreneurs and pension leaders ; Robert and Dawid (henrytapper.com)
- Should’ve gone to mallowstreet. (henrytapper.com)
- Network Marketing Blog: Where To Find The Best Inspiration (profitonknowledge.com)
- A Word with Little Scream (nerdist.com)
- Fudging – Nudging and Attitude Budging (henrytapper.com)
- How to Write to Connect with Your Blog Readers (aleasemichelle.typepad.com)
- Why do we blog? (estherlou.wordpress.com)
- Worthy nuggets (frootbat31.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating my 100th Comment, Yay! (wisepotate.wordpress.com)
- Lou Reed and Lorenzo Mattotti Tackle “The Raven” (battlegrip.com)
- Efficient Blog Commenting: Save Your Time and Energy (problogger.net)
- Educating nudging and fooling ourselves (henrytapper.com)
- Lou Reed playing Hal Willner ‘Freedom Riders’ show in Prospect Park (where Andrew Bird plays for free tonight) (brooklynvegan.com)
- The great Lou Reed’s Sweet Jane (henrytapper.com)