If you read my blogs you’ll know that I see the Blockchain as boring and beautiful at the same time. It is boring because it creates a central purchasing ledger and it is beautiful because it puts millions of boring jobs at risk , freeing people up to go and do something more useful instead.
As disruptive technologies go, it is at the top of the list. But why is everyone so scared of it? I reckon most people see Blockchain as a threat – not because it is boring – but because they are. Face it, do you see Blockchain stealing your job? If you do- then you are doing a boring job! If you want to carry on doing a boring job then the chances are won’t be because the Blockchain will have outsourced your job to a microchip.
If you see the possibility of doing something less boring than validating transactions , then good for you. May I introduce you to the wonderful world of leisure, or at least of creative work where you are not doing something boring but using your magnificent human intelligence to make the world a better place.
You may think I am being facetious, but I’m not. I really do think that people are a lot less boring than their jobs would lead us to believe. Furthermore, if people allowed themselves to believe that, they would be the interesting people their imaginations have always told them they are.
If you don’t know how the Blockchain works, and how it’s likely to blow up all the boring jobs over the next two decades, you can read all kinds of interesting articles (like this one on my blog) and find out.
When you’ve finished this article go to https://henrytapper.com/blockchain-explained/ The URLs so easy you can type it into your browser even if you’re reading this on paper!
If you do know how the Blockchain works try this;- instead of worrying about it, start using it! It is not a human intelligence – it is an artificial intelligence – you can be as rude to it as you like – it will still be your friend!
I spoke with the big boss of an insurance company the other day, she was complaining that her unit costs were too high and she couldn’t make any money out of small pension pots. I told her to scrap all her processes and replace them with the Blockchain. She asked what that would mean for her organisation. I told her she’d be employing about 10% of the people and the other 90% would go and do something more interesting instead.
I told her she’d be able to manage small pension pots profitably.
She said she’d think about it. I hope she has second thoughts!