On 1st January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27th January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien.
I am a British citizen who has lived in America for the past six years – working hard, contributing to society, paying my taxes and bringing up our four children in the place they now call home. Now, me and many others like me are being told that we may not be welcome. It’s deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children that Daddy might not be able to come home – to explain why the President has introduced a policy that comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice.
I was welcomed into Britain from Somalia at eight years old and given the chance to succeed and realise my dreams. I have been proud to represent my country, win medals for the British people and receive the greatest honour of a knighthood. My story is an example of what can happen when you follow polices of compassion and understanding, not hate and isolation.
Mo Farah, Facebook (Jan 27)
Find what you need to know
Follow Blog via Email
here’s what you’ve been saying
Smith Williams on The Bitcoin scam – that… Smith Williams on The Bitcoin scam – that… Smith Williams on The Bitcoin scam – that… Smith Williams on The Bitcoin scam – that… henry tapper on “Saved enough to stop wo… Adrian Boulding on Schemes consolidate-pots proli… John Mather on “Saved enough to stop wo… Stuart Fowler on How a British Steel redress sc… con keating on Private markets – where… Jnamdoc on Private markets – where… Brian G on Stuart Fowler asks “is a… Eugen N on Is TPR setting too high a bar… Stuart Fowler on Stuart Fowler asks “is a… Brian G on Stuart Fowler asks “is a… henry tapper on Is TPR setting too high a bar…
- Downing Street’s three pension interventions this century.
- Schemes consolidate-pots proliferate;- tPR’s mixed news
- “Saved enough to stop work?” – the impact of pension freedoms on the labour market
- Auto-enrolment upgrade? Let’s sort out state benefits first.
- Private markets – where do pension fees go?
- We need to get back to Turner and think about a pension system as a way of countering the negative impact of an age… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Restoring confidence in pensions 1 hour ago
- Downing Street’s three pension interventions this century. henrytapper.com/2022/01/29/dow…Restoring confidence in pensions 1 hour ago
- @RoyalMail @mbailey261 I have stayed in all day for my tracked item to come and no one has turned up. I have to wai… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…Restoring confidence in pensions 16 hours ago
- Are we in a stock market crash? henrytapper.com/2022/01/24/are…Restoring confidence in pensions 16 hours ago
- Can Stephen Timms cut the Gordian Knot and unbind FAS pensions? henrytapper.com/2022/01/25/can…Restoring confidence in pensions 16 hours ago