Every club needs a strapline – last night twitter gave Liverpool FC this..
Suarez, who served a seven-game suspension for a bite during a Dutch league match in 2010, was foiled by Ivanovic as he attempted to kick the ball between the center back’s legs in the penalty area. As the ball rebounded toward the edge of the area, Suarez turned to his opponent, and television images clearly showed him biting into Ivanovic’s jersey at the top of the right arm.
Ivanovic shrugged off Suarez and immediately complained to referee Kevin Friend, who didn’t see the incident and didn’t speak to Suarez.
”We will review it, and we will comment after that,” Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said. ”Until we review it, we can’t comment on it.”
Not all the footage is clear.
And there is some doubt that what the nation saw was in fact Suarez,
In November 2010, Suarez was banned for seven matches for biting PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal while playing in the Dutch league, earning him the nickname ”Cannibal of Ajax.”
Could this have clouded our vision?
There is little evidence as yet of any lasting damage to Iavanovic
Suarez was suspended for eight games in December 2011 for making racist insults to Manchester United defender Patrice Evra during a Premier League match.
As usual Suarez left nothing on the pitch
And Ivanovic was nutritionally challenging
On Sunday, Suarez also gave away a penalty kick with a needless handball, and Eden Hazard converted to put Chelsea ahead 2-1 in the 57th minute.
Suarez’s goal in the seventh minute of injury time – one more that initially signaled – gave Chelsea the draw. He leads the Premier League with 23 goals and has 30 overall this season.
”I think it would be an injustice to Luis Suarez to talk about (the incident). He has been the best player in the league this season,” Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard said. ”I think he is the third-best player in the world behind Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.”
The late goal denied interim Chelsea manager Rafa Benitez a winning return to the club he led to the Champions League title in 2005 and the final of Europe’s top competition in ’07.
- Suarez Bites Opponent’s Arm for 2nd Time in 4 Yrs (nytimes.com)
- Luis Suarez bites Ivanovic LIVE reaction: Follow the Liverpool star’s latest controversy (mirror.co.uk)
- Liverpool striker Luis Suarez bites Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic (footballfancast.com)
- Suarez bites opponent’s arm for 2nd time in 4 yrs (kansascity.com)
- Luis Suárez: 10 previous controversies involving the Uruguayan striker (guardian.co.uk)
- VIDEO: Luis Suarez ‘bites’ Branislav Ivanovic, Liverpool Vs Chelsea, EPL 2013 (3news.co.nz)
- Liverpool’s Luis Suarez faces lengthy ban after biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic (metro.co.uk)