I urge you to watch this video of Frankel (press the coloured bit!) destroying one the best horse‘s of our generation’s reputation in what is the outstanding run by any horse in this millennium. Indeed of any millennium if we are to agree with Henry Cecil‘s estimate of Frankel’s status in the equine pantheon.
Frankel’s that good and the acceleration he shows at the two furlong mark is enough to get a petrolhead going let alone us horse-lovers.
But don’t stop watching when Frankel reaches the winning post. The next few seconds see jockey Tom Quealy’s increasingly concerned attempts to stop the horse! There’s a chute at the end of the Goodwood straight which is pretty tight and few horse go down there. You can see Canford Cliffs and others pulling up exhausted well before the chute is reached but Frankel just keeps on dancing down the chute and it’s all Quealy can do to stop him riding off to Chichester!
Such is the superiority of the horse – not another Arkle– the one and only Frankel.
Frankel may never repeat what he did on Wednesday 27th June 2011 between 3.10 and 3.12 but for those two minutes of gorgeous horsey brutality (brilliantly shot and commentated on by Channel Four) we should always be grateful.
Thanks to Khalid Abdullah for agreeing to race him next year and thanks to Henry Cecil who carries the affection of a racing nation on his shoulders today.
BRAVO FRANKEL – THE WONDERHORSE
- Frankel favourite for Goodwood (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Legends are born, Frankel…. Plus Day 4 Galway Tips, Day 3 Goodwood Tips (themajorversusthebookie.wordpress.com)
- Tom Queally will feel the pressure – he has to deliver on Frankel (guardian.co.uk)
- Glorious Goodwood 2011: Frankel to win battle of giants in Qipco Sussex Stakes (telegraph.co.uk)
- ‘Duel on the Downs’ will prove the worth of Cecil’s jewel Frankel (independent.co.uk)
- Frankel to take honours over Canford Cliffs in Glorious Goodwood duel (guardian.co.uk)
- Frankel has the class to overcome Canford Cliffs and a muddled race (guardian.co.uk)
- Day Two Goodwood, Day Three Galway plus Canford v Frankel – The Majors verdict (themajorversusthebookie.wordpress.com)
- Strong Suit’s success only underlines weak point in Canford case (independent.co.uk)
- Glorious Goodwood 2011: Frankel has an early edge over Cliffs in Sussex Stakes (telegraph.co.uk)
- Canford Cliffs team plot Frankel’s Glorious Goodwood downfall (guardian.co.uk)
- Royal Ascot 2011: unbeaten Frankel strolls home in St James’s Palace Stakes to make it seven in a row (telegraph.co.uk)
- Henry Cecil: ‘I don’t like to be defeated – beat depression, get on’ (independent.co.uk)
- Frankel the wonder horse wins at Royal Ascot … but only just (guardian.co.uk)
- Hannon relishes stopping Frankel (independent.co.uk)
- The hunger that drives the long reign of King Henry Cecil (guardian.co.uk)